During the workshop a book with the same title will be presented, which is the result of an APPEAR Project (SEA4cities), completed in 2020. The open access publication explores the multi-faceted dimensions of transition to energy sustainability in emerging cities. It discusses the latest developments on energy access and transition to sustainability throughout the overall value chain: from basic research in universities to documentation of lessons learned in the field. The authors look into the efforts needed for achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) number 7 (affordable and clean energy) and 11 (sustainable cities and communities) and discuss the question of whether these goals’ achievement can conflict with other development goals such as decent work and economic growth. Furthermore, innovation in energy transition is introduced, both in technology and citizens’ engagement.
The workshop is dedicated to the presentation of the SEA4cities book and will have a hybrid format.
• presential speakers and conference attendees in Linz, Austria
• speakers and other attendees connecting online through Zoom; the Zoom connection will include a simultaneous English-French interpretation.
Tentative agenda of the workshop:
Location: JKU Linz (Entwicklungstagung) and Online via ZOOM
Time: 11:15- 13:00 CET (vienna time)
- Dr. Andreas Obrecht (author, APPEAR, OeAD)
- Dr. Aminata Fall (book editor, freelance expert on energy sustainability)
- Prof. Reinhard Haas (book editor, Professor in Energy Economics at TU Wien)
- Dr. Pauline Macharia (author, Technical Advisor to The Energy Network, TENN)
- Mr. Salif Sow (author, Manager of the Department Energy and Public Sector at Deloitte Senegal)
For those who cannot attend the Entwicklungstagung in Linz in person it is possible to join this workshop online via ZOOM
The book Sustainable Energy Access for Communities: Rethinking the Energy Agenda for Cities can be downloaded for free here