The Selection Board (SB) awards funding from component 1 (Preparatory Funding, Academic Partnerships, Advanced Academic Partnerships) and component 2 (PhD scholarships if not embedded in existing APPEAR projects) of the APPEAR programme.It decides about:
- the award of funds for Academic Partnerships and Advanced Academic Partnerships
- the award of Preparatory Funding for the initiation and development of new partnerships
- the award of PhD scholarships, only, if they are not embedded within existing Academic Partnerships or Advanced Academic Partnerships.
The Selection Board takes into account the objectives of the programme, the quality of the applications and the availability of funding. The Selection Board takes the decisions and advises the APPEAR office to inform the applicants and to start the contracting process. The Selection Board is entitled to award either a full agreement or to reject the entire proposal. Improved proposals may be resubmitted in subsequent calls.The following additional criteria are central in the decisions of the Selection Board: overall quality, incorporated comprehensive relevance to development, synergy to other ADC priorities in the respective country(ies), gender, etc.
Members of the Selection Board
- Matthias Themel, ADA / Chair of the Board
- Walter Ehmeir, ADA
- Ralf König, Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG)
- Reinhard Belocky, Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- Marie-France Chevron, University of Vienna / Faculty of Social Sciences
- Peter Messerli, University of Bern / Centre for Development and Environment
- tbd, GIZ